Monday, December 6, 2010

Oroonoko....An Adventure Story to be Reckoned With

Aphra Behn was a woman. A woman, that wrote in a time where women had very little credibility in written form. I must say, however, Oroonoko is about as exciting a story as you get. Ups and downs, ins and outs, adventure upon adventure, the story reads like an exciting 1940's newsreel. It kept me reading, wanting more, caring for the characters, hoping the best for star-crossed lovers. The imagery is absolutely breathtaking, and I suspect that Behn's female intuition moved the story right along. Most adventure stories in the history of literature were written by males, and contained a whole lot of killing and masculine glory. Behn rivals male composition when she places beautiful themes into the midst of the action. She creates a socially blind environment for the reader. No longer does one need to view either gender as the lesser, we are given the opportunity to see the beauty in all of mankind. Because Adam and Eve wasn't just about a woman temptress, it was about man and woman alike being imperfect. This is what we get in Oroonoko, two lovers, equally yoked, unconditionally passionate for one another. It almost brings a tear to my eye (But hey I don't cry, I'm a man!....right?). Nonetheless, I was amazed by this piece. It is a fresh alternative to all of the masculine oriented stories. My thoughts? Read the story of Oroonoko and be amazed, just as I am. TaTa for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment