Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Thief Who Steals Books

I just got done reading an amazing book. Amazing how, you ask? Well, let me say it bluntly: It has the most beautiful imagery I have ever read. Never before have I read an author so honest, not afraid to tell it like it is. Zusak has created a world of hellish intent, that we willingly walk right into. At least, I did (yes, I am brave, ie) I just went to Knott's Scary Farm a couple weeks ago). It is a world of beautiful, awe inspiring color. I had to restrain myself from tears at a couple of points, for sake of ruining the pages. I never thought the "conversation of bullets" would ring so truly in my ear, all the way to the end of the book. It left me feeling as if I were with the character in the end. I was part of the book at one point (my nose was buried in it). My favorite line ever has now become, "Her voice was like suicide." As sadistic as this may sound, it really isn't. Markus Zusak takes what we feel is dark and dreary and makes it poetic. I can't help thinking about it still (after a week of having finished it gone by). I remember looking at the cover, where it said something to the effect of "it has the potential to be LIFE CHANGING", and scoffing. But now, a week later, my jaw is still well acquainted with the floor. 

It is a story about the beauty of the written word. It is a story about Nazi Germany. It is a story about a foster-father's love for his foster-child. It is a story about youthful passion. 

And to tell you the truth, I miss it right now.

  *Photo here is my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment